Want to learn to scuba dive? You’re in the right place. Thousands of underwater explorers and adventurers started right here with BSAC.
Welcome to the wonderful world of scuba diving, where amazing adventures are just around the corner and you can experience the world like you never had before.
It's super easy to start learning to scuba dive with BSAC! Submit a learn to dive enquiry form below and start your underwater adventure. Already a member? you can access your learn to dive training options here.
Submit a learn to dive enquiry
Learn with a BSAC club or a BSAC training centre?
Learn over a period of weeks or months with a local club. By the end of your scuba lessons, you will have unlocked the door to a new underwater world and countless new adventures. Joining a BSAC club is a great way to learn how to scuba dive as well as making new friends and joining social nights. Learn more about club life.
BSAC training centre
Learning with a BSAC training centre gives you the best of both worlds. You can train in as little as three days and afterwards you have the option of going diving with either a local BSAC club or stay with the centre for more training or just diving.
Find a clubFind a training centre
Which beginner course is right for me?
|Beginner courses||Age||eLearning price||Maximum depth of certification||Course prerequisites||Discover|
|BSAC Ocean Diver||12+||*£119.50
(Full-time students and under 18's - £91)
|20 m||Able to swim and medically fit for diving||Learn more|
|BSAC Discovery Diver||10+||*£99.50
(Full-time students and under 18's - £71)
|12m||Able to swim and medically fit for diving||Learn more|
Please note: * There is an additional cost in the practical training. Your chosen Training Centre or club will charge for this.
Learn to dive with BSAC
What happens after I submit a learn to dive enquiry?
- So, you've taken the first step and submitted a learn to dive enquiry.
- A BSAC mentor will be in touch to talk you through the options: whether you want to train at a club or a centre, eLearning or in-person lessons.
- Training begins! The theory part can be completed on e-learning or with in-person lessons.
- Time to get in the water! All dive kit will be provided and you will begin pool training followed by open water training with your instructor.
- You've completed all your training, you're qualified! You can continue your scuba diving journey with your club or training provider and advance your skills with extra training opportunities.
Can I try scuba diving before starting a membership?
- Of course! Every club offers try dive sessions to see if scuba diving is for you. Contact your nearest club to arrange a try dive session.
How much does it cost?
The cost comes in two parts - Your e-learning and qualification part (includes eLearning, training materials, qualification upon completion and 12 months BSAC membership). Then your practical training.
- BSAC Ocean Diver: * £119.50 (Full time students and under 18's - £91) or BSAC Discovery Diver: * £99.50 (Full time students and under 18's - £71)
- Practical Training: Roughly £300-350 with training providers or club prices vary. (Your chosen Training Centre or Club will charge for this).
How long does it take to qualify?
- The beginner courses are designed to allow students to progress at their own pace.
- Independent learning using the BSAC eLearning platform takes about 8-10 hours.
- Pool training and open water dives can be completed in just a few days.
- Only once you and your instructor feel confident that you've mastered a skill, will you move on to the next one.
Is scuba diving safe?
- Scuba diving has a really good safety record and this is mainly due to the training we do before participating in our adventurous sport. BSAC training is world-renowned for being extremely thorough and what's different about BSAC is we build in safety skills and training from the start.
- Scuba diving's good safety record is justified by good training, sound equipment and safe practices. BSAC will teach you everything you need to know to be a competent safe diver.
Does a BSAC scuba qualification expire?
- Your BSAC qualification will not expire. However, if you haven’t been diving in a while and wish to refresh your diving knowledge skills, you may wish to do a BSAC Scuba Refresher Course. Contact your chosen BSAC Centre for more information.
Can people living with disabilities learn how to dive?
- Yes, they can. People with reduced mobility, missing limbs or other physical challenges, such as blindness, can learn to dive with BSAC. People with mental health issues and neurodiverse individuals can often also still take part in scuba training dependent on their medication. Contact your chosen BSAC Centre for more information or seek advice from the UK Diving Medical Committee.
Still have questions?
We’d love to help you. Please email us or call us on 0151 350 6201 if you need any assistance getting started.
Looking for a new adventure? Make your weekends count!
When you learn to scuba dive, you open up a whole new world of experiences. From growing in confidence and learning new skills to joining a community of scuba divers, there’s a lot to love, and learn!
Let's get you started!
Sign up to learn to dive with a BSAC Training Centre (to learn in around five days) or find a local club (to learn over a period of weeks/months). If you train with a centre, you can always join a club later.
Submit a learn to dive enquiry
Need help? Call us on 0151 350 6201 (Mon-Fri, 09:00-17:00) or email for a chat!