Fitness to snorkel: medical self-declaration
We work closely with UK Diving Medical Committee (UKDMC) and as a snorkeller and member of BSAC you are required to complete a Snorkeller self-declaration medical fitness form, upon joining, and then annually when renewing.
Complete your Snorkel self-declaration medical fitness form by;
- Downloading and completing the Snorkel self-declaration medical fitness form
- or completing the self-declaration medical fitness form online in your MyBSAC account
You should also complete one in the event of a medical condition arising between these times.
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the answers on the Snorkel self-declatation medical fitness form you will need to have a medical examination, this may just mean a simple phone call with a Medical Referee. In more serious or complex cases you may need an appointment.
Who is the UKDMC?
UKDMC is a national network of medical referees with accredited diving medicine expertise who set the standards of fitness required to snorkel. They use a uniform set of medical standards which are continually reviewed as new research is published.
The UKDMC website will provide you with access to the latest information and relevant forms that are available for download, including:
- Medical self-declaration system explanation 2016
Explanation of the process on UKDMCs website
- Snorkel self-declaration medical fitness form 2016 - PDF
- Medical Referee form 2016 - PDF
What if I want a medical examination?
Medical examinations for fitness to snorkel
The current self-declaration process has become an established system with the full support of the UK Diving Medical Committee (UKDMC).
Even if you have answered ‘yes’ to all of the answers on the Snorkel self-declaration medical fitness form but you still feel you would like a medical examination for your own peace of mind there are two options for those that want a medical examination:
- a medical examination from your own GP (in addition to the mandatory self-declaration process)
- or a medical examination from a UKDMC referee - and a UKDMC ‘fitness to snorkel’ certificate can be issued.
Only a UKDMC referee can endorse a UKDMC ‘fitness to snorkel’ certificate.