Fitness to dive: medical self-declaration
We work closely with UK Diving Medical Committee (UKDMC) and as a diver and member of BSAC you are required to complete a Diver self-declaration medical fitness form, upon joining, and then annually when renewing.
Complete your diver self-declaration medical fitness form by;
- Downloading and completing the diver self-declaration medical fitness form
- Branch Officers please note - some clubs are experiencing problems with the digital version of the medical form. Please revert to your original/own system for managing your members’ medicals until this is fixed, do not rely on the data in the Club Management System (CMS). We will contact you when there is an update.
You should also complete one in the event of a medical condition arising between these times.
New forms were issued in January 2021, your existing medical form is valid until you renew your membership. The new form should be completed when you next renew unless your medical status has changed, including if you have tested positive for COVID-19, please consult a Medical Referee by telephone for advice before you start to dive again.
If you answer ‘yes’ to any of the answers on the Diver self-declaration medical fitness form you will need to have a medical examination, this may just mean a simple phone call with a Medical Referee. In more serious or complex cases you may need an appointment.
Who are the UKDMC?
UKDMC is the national network of medical referees with accredited diving medicine expertise who set the standards of fitness required to dive. They use a uniform set of medical standards which are continually reviewed as new research is published.
The UKDMC website will provide you with access to the latest information and relevant forms that are available for download:
- Medical self-declaration system explanation
Explanation of the process on UKDMCs website
- Other downloadable forms and guidance
What if I want a medical examination?
Medical examinations for fitness to dive
The current self-declaration process has become an established system with the full support of the UK Diving Medical Committee (UKDMC).
Even if you have answered ‘no’ to all of the answers on the Diver self-declaration medical fitness form but you still feel you would like a medical examination for your own peace of mind there are two options for those that want a medical examination:
- a medical examination from your own GP (in addition to the mandatory self-declaration process)
- or a medical examination from a UKDMC referee - and a UKDMC ‘fitness to dive’ certificate can be issued.
Only a UKDMC referee can endorse a UKDMC ‘fitness to dive’ certificate.