BSAC Technical Courses are run by branches, within regions and at commercial centres.
Technical Instructor Courses (TICs)
Technical Instructor Courses (TICs) can only be run as part of the Instructor Training Scheme (ITS) or by commercial centres. Divers who meet the pre-requisites may apply to attend and, subject to satisfactory performance, teach under direct supervision on BSAC Technical courses.
The staff for a TIC are to be qualified as follows, or be working under supervision:
- ITs must be Tech ITs who are endorsed to work on the TIC.
- The Senior Instructor (SI) must be a National Instructor and Tech IT endorsed as the SI on an ITDC.
TICs are to be delivered using the materials available on the ITS website.
Technical Instructor Trainer Development Course (Tech ITDC)
Experienced Technical Instructors who hold the Open Water Instructor (OWI) qualification and have attended the Instructor Development Course (IDC) may be invited to attend a Technical Instructor Trainer Development Course (Tech ITDC). After attendance, and any post course development, they can become a Tech IT by working on a Technical Instructor Course (TIC) under the supervision of an experienced Tech IT.
The staff for a Tech ITDC are to be qualified as follows, or be working under supervision:
- ITs must be National Instructors and Tech ITs endorsed to work on the Tech ITDC.
- The Senior Instructor (SI) must be a National Instructor and Tech IT endorsed as the SI on a Tech ITDC.
Tech ITDCs are to be delivered using the materials available on the ITS website.
All BSAC Technical Events are to be notified to BSAC HQ using the online Technical Event Notification Form.
Each BSAC Technical course has a student report that must be completed within 2 weeks of the course concluding. A copy must be given to the student, another sent to BSAC HQ, via email@example.com, and the final one kept in the instructor’s records.
Following all BSAC Technical courses, including TICs and Tech ITDCs, a report is to be submitted using the online Event Report within 2 weeks of completion.
Student QA Questionnaire
The lead instructor/Senior Instructor is to request that all students complete a post course QA questionnaire using the online Student QA Questionnaire.
Assistant Instructor/Assistant IT Report
Following the participation of an assistant instructor or assistant Instructor Trainer (IT) on a BSAC technical course or event, a report is to be completed that will provide them feedback for ongoing personal development. Should their performance merit the recommendation of award of instructor or IT status, it also provides a proper audit trail and quality assurance process. A copy of the report must be given to the student, another sent to BSAC HQ, via firstname.lastname@example.org, and the final one kept in the instructor’s records.
BSAC Technical Standards
- BSAC Technical Events
- BSAC Technical Instructor
- Annex A – BSAC Technical Instructor experience prerequisites
- Annex B – Technical Instructor flow chart
- BSAC Technical Instructor Trainer
- Annex C – BSAC Tech IT experience prerequisites
- Annex D – Technical Instructor Trainer flow chart
- BSAC Technical Course Development