The Expeditions Trophy is awarded annually and presented to the team with the most significant exploratory diving expedition of the year.
The expedition can be in the UK or overseas and is awarded to an expedition that promotes the true spirit of adventurous diving. The winning team is presented with the Trophy (a barograph) at the BSAC Diving Conference.
Kevin Heath - 2022 BSAC Expeditions Trophy winner
Andy Hunt presents the Expeditions Trophy to Lieutenant Commander Jen Smith, RN, on behalf of Kevin Heath and the team
Who can apply for the Trophy?
Expedition teams may nominate their expedition for this award. The National Diving Officer and National Diving Committee decide who should receive this award after reviewing the expedition and its report.
Please don’t be modest or shy in submitting your expedition for the trophy. We understand the reward is in the satisfaction of having completed the aims of your expedition safely, successfully and perhaps, more importantly, knowing that the expedition team enjoyed the experience. However, BSAC want exceptional expeditions to be more formally recognised; hence the BSAC Expeditions Trophy.
How to apply for the Expeditions Trophy
For your expedition to be judged for the award, you must let BSAC’s Expeditions Officer know about your expedition by email. This can be in any format you choose, such as a copy of a report/video/magazine article/blog/diary etc.
Participants in expeditions can apply on behalf of their Expedition Leader, but they should seek approval from the Expedition Leader.
- 2022 - Kevin Heath - Discovery of HMS Jason
- 2021 - Lothian Divers - Knoydart Peninsula and Loch Nevis
- 2020 - Steve Mortimer, Plymouth Sound Divers - HMS Formidable
- 2019 - Worcester Divers - The Outer Limits
- 2018 - Southsea Sub-Aqua Club - Project Cardonnet
- 2017 - Darwen Sub-Aqua Club - Maerl Bed Survey, Loch Hourn
- 2016 - Alf Draper, Sub C Divers & Bury Sub Aqua Club - Northern Ireland Venture
- 2015 - Alison Mayor, Southsea SAC - Operation Neptune 70, Normandy
- 2014 - Ian Dearden, Darwen SAC - Haugesund, Norway
- 2013 - Tyneside 114 SAC - Skerryvore Expedition to Tiree
- 2012 - Alison Gaudion, ULSAC and Crawley - Guernsey, Herm & Sark
- 2010 - Rhian Lewis-James, Cardiff SAC - West Wales Wreck Exploration
- 2009 - Andy Bennett, MidLancs SAC - Isle of Gigha, Kintyre
- 2008 - Ian Dearden, Darwen SAC - Falklands Island
- 2007 - Max Ruffert, EUSAC - Extreme Drift Diving in the Sound of Luing
- 2006 - Naval Air Command SAC - Foula's Titanic
- 2005 - ULSAC - France Sous L’eau
- 2004 - Graeme Bruce - St Kilda By RHIB
- 2001 - Maj. Andy Reid - Minerva Sovereign
- 2000 - Martin Jones
- 1999 - Maj. Andy Reid - Saratoga Crossroads
- 1998 - RAF Sub-Aqua Association
- 1997 - Vivek Alimchandani
- 1996 - Richard Scarsbrook
- 1995 - Joe Astre & Vince Jenkins
- 1991 - Major Gerald Moor
- 1990 - Maj Hamish Macdonald
- 1989 - Stuart Ward
- 1988 - Mark Caney
- 1987 - George Brown
- 1986 - Bernard Picton
- 1985 - George Brown