The Annual Diving Incident Report contains details of UK diving incidents occurring to divers from all agencies and backgrounds, plus incidents occurring worldwide involving BSAC members.
The report analyses the background to the incidents and over many years BSAC and other UK based training agencies have constantly revised and updated their training programmes and safety guidance based on the report.
Agencies and organisations take into account both developing technology and they address training issues highlighted by incident analysis. BSAC monitor and report on Diving Incidents in the interest of promoting diving safety. The collection of incident information is central to understanding trends in diving safety.
Groups, including the Maritime and Coastguard Agency (MCA), Royal National Lifeboat Institution (RNLI), Health and Safety Executive (HSE), DDRC Healthcare and other diving organisations and agencies feed into our system but the vast majority of reports come from individuals.
Watch the Annual Diving Incident Report presentation 2017
How you can use the report
Please use the current and previous reports to learn from others' mistakes. They have had the courage and generosity to record their experiences for publication, the least that we can do is to use this information to avoid similar problems.
- 2018 Diving Incident Report - available 20 November 2018
- BSAC Diving Incident Report 2017 - view the 2017 Incident Report presentation above
- BSAC Diving Incident Report 2016 - you can also view the 2016 Incident Report presentation.
- BSAC Diving Incident Report 2015
- BSAC Diving Incident Report 2014
- BSAC Diving Incident Report 2013
- BSAC Diving Incident Report 2012
Earlier reports can be provided by contacting our Diving Resource Team by email.