BSAC has released guidance to help members and the wider diving community prepare for a safe return to the water. All of the guidance is accessible from this page.
From 21 May 2020, a phased resumption of diving activities, commencing with limited diving whilst respecting government rules is being supported by BSAC in England. Northern Ireland has issued clarification that diving activity can start on 8 June. In Scotland and Wales, meeting outside in 3 or 2 household groups respectively allows a limited return to diving. Please refer to the STATUS document (ver 1.8 updated 14 August 2020) for information on the different criteria within the devolved administrations.
We will continue to work with various agencies to monitor the situation and to advocate for a responsible and safe return for divers in all parts of the UK.
Three steps to returning to diving safely…
1. Follow Government advice
- Follow any specific guidance from your devolved administration
- Stay at home if you’re showing symptoms of Covid-19 or self-isolating
- Respect 2m social distancing
- Commit to hand hygiene
2. Follow the BSAC guidance (see below)
Read the documents below that will support you in getting back to diving safety. These are based on current knowledge and understanding of the risks associated with the outbreak.
3. Be conservative and follow your training
Minimise risk by taking an extra conservative approach to your diving.
Status in the UK
Currently, different criteria apply to each of the devolved administrations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Please refer to the STATUS document (ver 1.8 updated 14 August 2020) for further information.
Return to diving guidance documents
The guidance documents below are based on current knowledge and understanding of the risks associated with the outbreak and the current scientific evidence informing decisions by government and other relevant authorities. It is acknowledged that the evidence base and knowledge surrounding the outbreak is rapidly and continually evolving and so the guidance will be reviewed regularly and be subject to update and amendment as appropriate.
- Framework (ver 1.1 - 18 June 2020)
- Medical guidance (ver 1.0 - 21 May 2020)
- Shore diving guidance (ver 1.1 - 3 June 2020)
- Equipment guidance (ver 1.0 - 21 May 2020)
- Rescue and CPR guidance (ver 1.0 - 21 May 2020)
- Diver training guidance (ver 1.0 - 21 May 2020)
- Travel guidance (ver 1.0 - 21 May 2020)
- Boat diving – small boats (ver 1.1 - 3 June 2020)
- Boat diving – charter boats (ver 1.0 - 21 May 2020)
- Snorkelling guidance (ver 1.0 - 27 May 2020)
- Swimming pool guidance (ver 1.0 - 12 June 2020)
- Club compressors and facilities guidance (ver 1.0 - 27 May 2020)
- PPE guidance (ver 1.0 - 3 June 2020)
Return to pools
Although many clubs are starting to return to their pools and a few of you are even training again, we’re fully aware that some pools have not yet reopened.
Some local authorities have requested confirmation that clubs can return to indoor pools, so we have produced the 'local authority confirmation letter' for use by Branch Officers to support them back into the pool. This can be further supported with the above 'Swimming pool guidance' document and an updated risk assessment. Many of our clubs have adopted a phased return to their regular pool nights, whilst working with the facility managers to ensure all parties are comfortable with the procedures put in place.
You can download the form or requested it be sent from BSAC HQ, please contact Geoff on firstname.lastname@example.org
- Local authority pool letter (ver 1.0 - 16 September 2020)