BSAC has released safe diving and training guidance to help support members and the wider diving community through the coronavirus pandemic. All of the guidance is accessible from this page.
Divers and snorkellers need to be aware of how local restrictions may impact, including how non-household or support bubble groups meeting, and travel between local areas and nations of the UK.
Please refer to the STATUS document (ver 1.13 updated 26 November 2020) for information on the different criteria within the devolved administrations.
We will continue to work with various agencies to monitor the situation and to advocate for a responsible and safe approach for divers in all parts of the UK. Thank you to everyone for following the guidance and showing such support for our sport.
Three steps to returning to diving safely…
1. Follow Government advice
- Follow any specific guidance from your devolved administration
- Stay at home if you’re showing symptoms of Covid-19 or self-isolating
- Respect 2m social distancing
- Commit to hand hygiene
2. Follow the BSAC guidance (see below)
Read the documents below that will support you in getting back to diving safety. These are based on current knowledge and understanding of the risks associated with the outbreak.
3. Be conservative and follow your training
Minimise risk by taking an extra conservative approach to your diving.
Status in the UK
Currently, different criteria apply to each of the devolved administrations of England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Please refer to the STATUS document (ver 1.13 updated 26 November 2020) for further information.
Covid-19 Safe Diving guidance documents
The guidance documents below are based on current knowledge and understanding of the risks associated with the outbreak and the current scientific evidence informing decisions by government and other relevant authorities. It is acknowledged that the evidence base and knowledge surrounding the outbreak is rapidly and continually evolving and so the guidance will be reviewed regularly and be subject to update and amendment as appropriate.
- Framework (ver 1.1 - 18 June 2020)
- Medical guidance (ver 1.0 - 21 May 2020)
- Shore diving guidance (ver 1.1 - 3 June 2020)
- Equipment guidance (ver 1.0 - 21 May 2020)
- Rescue and CPR guidance (ver 1.0 - 21 May 2020)
- Diver training guidance (ver 1.1 - 1 October 2020)
- Travel guidance (ver 1.0 - 21 May 2020)
- Boat diving – small boats (ver 1.1 - 3 June 2020)
- Boat diving – charter boats (ver 1.0 - 21 May 2020)
- Snorkelling guidance (ver 1.0 - 27 May 2020)
- Swimming pool guidance (ver 1.0 - 12 June 2020)
- Club compressors and facilities guidance (ver 1.0 - 27 May 2020)
- PPE guidance (ver 1.0 - 3 June 2020)
- Organised Events guidance (ver 1.0 - 28 September 2020)
Return to pools
Although many clubs are starting to return to their pools and a few of you are even training again, we’re fully aware that some pools have not yet reopened.
Some local authorities have requested confirmation that clubs can return to indoor pools, so we have produced the 'local authority confirmation letter' for use by Branch Officers to support them back into the pool. This can be further supported with the above 'Swimming pool guidance' document and an updated risk assessment. Many of our clubs have adopted a phased return to their regular pool nights, whilst working with the facility managers to ensure all parties are comfortable with the procedures put in place.
You can download the form or requested it be sent from BSAC HQ, please contact Geoff on email@example.com
- Local authority pool letter (ver 1.0 - 16 September 2020)