Emergency Wreck Buoy
Trinity House introduces new 'Emergency Wreck Marking Buoy'
Trinity House has been responsible for the safety of shipping, and the well being of seafarers, since it was granted a Charter by Henry VIII in 1514. Amongst other aspects the authority is responsible for maintaining Aids to Navigation throughout England, Wales, the Channel Islands and Gibraltar waters including navigation buoys. (the Northern Lighthouse Board is the General Lighthouse Authority responsible for Scottish and Isle of Man waters and the Commissioners of Irish lights the General Lighthouse Authority for the Republic of Ireland and Northern Ireland.) Following successful trials Trinity House has introduced a new emergency wreck marking buoy. This is designed to provide high visual and radio/radar recognition. It is intended that such wreck marking buoys should be maintained in position only until appropriate Lateral or Cardinal buoys can be deployed. The buoy has the following characteristics:
- A pillar or spar buoy, with size dependant on location.
- Coloured in equal number and dimensions of blue and yellow vertical stripes (minimum of 4 stripes and maximum of 8 stripes).
- Fitted with an alternating blue and yellow flashing light with a nominal range of 4 nautical miles (the range may be altered depending on local conditions) and the blue and yellow 1 second flashes are alternated with an interval of 0.5 seconds.
- If multiple buoys are deployed then the lights will be synchronised.
- The top mark, if fitted, is to be a standing/upright yellow cross.
Picture from Trinity House